Annual reporting of CE requirements
As part of RRA certification renewal, a licensee will be required to attest to meeting his or her RRA credential CE obligations each year. This is the extent of the licensee’s continuing education reporting requirements—supporting documentation does not need to be submitted with the renewal application.
This said, excluding activities that have been specifically pre-approved by the CIFP Retirement Institute, a Registered Retirement Analyst credential holder is advised to retain official and original documentation to support any continuing education activities that he or she has claimed in the event he or she is selected by the Institute for a random audit.
Audit reporting of CE Activities
Licensee that are randomly selected for an audit of his or her claim for CE credits in support of RRA certification must submit documentation to the CIFP Retirement Institute to substantiate his or her claim. The documentation must contain sufficient information to enable the CIFP Retirement Institute to verify the nature and appropriateness of the reported activity and the licensee's participation in it. The CIFP Retirement Institute may conduct an audit for any, or all, of the three previous years; it is important licensees keep supporting documentation on file to cover this period.
Depending on the nature of the continuing education activity, acceptable documentation will typically be in the form of:
- Credit courses: an official transcript or notice of completion issued and certified by the sponsoring post-secondary educational institution
- In-house training: a certificate of attendance and completion issued by the licensee's employer who is sponsoring the training
- Conferences: a certificate of attendance (including detailed information about the educational session) issued by the conference sponsor/host
Teaching, presenting, writing / editing:
- Teaching: a letter issued by the educational institution or financial industry organization sponsoring the course attesting that the licensee is the instructor of the course
- Presenting: a certificate or letter from the sponsor confirming the details of the licensee's presentation
- Writing / editing: verification issued by a third party attesting to the nature of the writing/editing work completed by the licensee
CE documentation that is incomplete, that does not match CIFP Retirement Institute records relating to the identification of the licensee, that is not issued and certified by a recognized postsecondary educational institution or financial industry organization or that, in any respect, is deemed to be inadequate by the Institute will not be accepted; claims for CE credits based on this documentation will be declined.
In addition to proof of attendance or a certificate of completion of a CE activity, a licensee may be required to provide further supporting documentation (e.g. official course description, PowerPoint presentation, syllabus, etc.) to clarify what learning objectives are covered as part of this activity.
Decisions made by the CIFP Retirement Institute with regards to the adequacy of the documentation submitted and/or the relevance of the continuing education activity itself are final.